How We Started
The Artist Bank, Inc. is the brainchild of fine artist, Keisha Whatley. In 2009, after a long hiatus from all things artistic, Keisha came up with the idea of creating a central hub that prospective patrons could go to in order to find artists or designers. Over the years, it became apparent that many artists and designers know little about business and even less about demonstrating professionalism that inspires confidence. Coming from a business-oriented family, she never had that problem. After forming Custom Arts Studio, LLC in 2018, landing various artist residencies, and honing a system to be successful as a professional artist, the stage was set for The Artist Bank, Inc. to be created to help others find their path to success. Through the years she made another very sad discovery ... the arts were being stripped from education. Her resume is speckled with STEM, STEAM and Arts work. Why isn't this education, fun and experience more readily available? The Artist Bank Community Arts Space "The Art SPOT" is one answer to that inquiry.
What We Do | The Vision
The utilization of Community Arts Spaces as a tool for crime deterrence and improved educational outcomes:
- Visual Arts Classes, Workshops and Trainings
- Health + Wellness Classes, Workshops and Trainings | Including:
The Community Arts Spaces provide educational, tutoring and STEAM-based programming for the community:
- Schoolhouse Support Program (SSP)
- A remote-learning hub to support working families
- More than a "drop-in" location: the SSP offers educational support, professional support staff and STEAM-based challenges to keep the students engaged
- STEAM After-School Program
- When schools re-open, our STEAM After-School Program will begin!
- We are even considering an online After-School Program! Stay tuned!
- STEAM Summer Program
- Interactive, fun, learning challenges that keep students engaged, on-task and learning 21st Century Skills
- Weekend Tutoring
- Available to families at low to no-cost
Professional Development (PD)
Currently most budding artists and designers struggle alone; most artists know very little about business. We envision The Artist Bank (PD Division) being the "go to" arts organization for budding creatives through our member portal. Our members make a living from their artistic skill and lead the sector in grant and residency awards. The Artist Bank also operates creative hubs throughout the tri-state area; offering community art space, low-cost studio rentals, and youth art programming.